Monday, June 9, 2008

Rest Day in Baker CIty









Whew...today is a much needed rest day. We've gone over 550 miles since picking up Andy in Astoria and over 700 since starting in Seattle. The last couple of days have been tough too. I already wrote about Santiam Pass. We did 50 the day after that. Then we had our first 100 mile day. It included two mountain passes. Yesterday was 63 miles with three mountain passes, all over 5000 ft. The weather has been good to us. Lots of sun and blue skies and favorable tailwinds. All of the uphill has come with lots of awesome downhill too. My top speed is 43.1 mph. Jake bested my by a half mph @ 43.6.

The eastern half of Oregon is amazing country. It's considered a "high desert" and resembles a lot of what I thought rural Utah would look like. Rolling through these landscapes has been amazing. Every time we crest a mountain range there is something new on the other side. I actually saw my first real cowboys in Dayville, OR. Never would've thought it either, but they climbed out of their F-350 and had big 'ol hats, bandanas around their necks. and spurs on their boots.

I think I've really settled into the trip. I have no idea what day of the week it is. I'm not really sure of the date either. The weather forecast for tomorrow isn't really relevant since we're still going to have to ride through it. Basically...it feels great to just have to focus on pedaling. I'm attaching a bunch of random photos from the past couple of days since our internet access has been sparse. Jake's computer is busted. I guess macs don't handle bumps and rain too well. Other than that, we're just rolling on. We should hit Idaho tomorrow and be in Montana a few days after that. Missoula, MT is about 400 miles from here.

2 comments:

ww4 said...

enjoying the blog thus far...i was initially wondering how you bad luck would come into play. but it look like you took care of that pretty early. hope the temp is kind and the winds are favorable. how's the experiment with cooling the muscles going? good luck boys...sooner or later I will have to make it to the orleans and hear what i have to believe will be some great stories...

Dad and Deb said...

The photos are great but hearing your voice on Sunday was even better. Thanks for the phone calls along the way. We are both envious of the riding Zen you are in. Lots of working, eating and sleeping here and we definitely know what day of the week it is. Your Dad is in NYC today but will be back tonight. We are sending our love to you every day. Stay safe!